Improvement works start in Oxford Road, Aylesbury
Work started today (Monday) on improvements to the A418 Oxford Road, Aylesbury.
It’s part of a £2.7 million project to introduce new technology, allowing ‘smarter’ traffic management, combined with upgraded junctions, new cycleway connections, and real-time passenger information at bus stops.
Today (Monday) sees the start of two weeks of works on a new shared footway and cycleway at Pearson Close connecting Pearl Way, one of the Gemstone cycle routes at Thame Road, with Pebble Way towards the town centre.
Work will involve daytime footway closures with only short durations of road narrowings to provide space for workers. It is due to be completed by Friday 22 November.
Overall, the improvements aim to cut congestion, improve air quality and make it easier and safer to cycle or walk, and include:
- Road widening at Fowler Road/Churchill Avenue crossroads, improved traffic light timings and a new shared footway and cycleway.
- Shared footway and cycleway connection at Pearson Close/Thame Road South junction to link with Gemstone routes, crossing improvements, new signs and tactile paving.
- Upgraded and linked traffic lights at junctions and crossings, allowing timings to better adapt to traffic flows and pedestrian demand.
- Upgraded permanent variable message signs to provide better information about traffic conditions, road closures and parking space availability.
- Closed Circuit Television to monitor traffic flows and help manage incidents.
- Real Time Passenger Information at bus stops, providing up-to-date transport information.
- Upgraded bus shelter outside Sir Henry Floyd Grammar School and Aylesbury College.
A council spokesman said future works would focus on technology upgrades to modernise traffic management on this approach to Aylesbury town centre.
“We ask people to bear with us while the works take place, and ultimately this scheme will significantly enhance this area,” said the spokesman. “We’ll be monitoring any traffic disruption closely during the course of the work.”
The A418 Oxford Road corridor improvements scheme is a partnership project between Buckinghamshire County Council and Buckinghamshire Local Enterprise Partnership. The project budget is made up of a £2.191m bid to the Government’s National Productivity Investment Fund, and developer funding of £500,000.
Latest news on the A418 Oxford Road corridor improvements project is available at www.buckscc.gov.uk/A418OxfordRoad which will be kept up to date as the project progresses.