Outdoor play areas and gyms reopening in Buckinghamshire
We are pleased to announce that outdoor play areas and gyms managed by Buckinghamshire Council will be gradually reopening from Saturday 4 July onwards, and ask that everyone who uses these outdoor areas maintains strict social distancing and good hygiene practice.
We anticipate it will take a few days from Saturday for all sites to reopen and they will be operating with clear guidance on how to use the areas and equipment safely.
Some play areas are managed by the local town or parish council who will make decisions for their own facilities; please check websites before you visit and follow signage in the play areas.
We know that social distancing can be particularly difficult in a playground setting, so we ask that parents, carers and guardians are aware of the risk and take extra care and responsibility for encouraging handwashing and social distancing as much as possible.
Cllr Clive Harriss, Buckinghamshire Council Cabinet Member for Sport and Leisure, said: “It is great that we are now able to start reopening many of our outdoor play areas and gyms for residents to use, especially with the school summer holidays starting soon, but using these outdoor areas does carry some risk, and it’s important that everyone continues to follow the guidance to keep safe.
“Avoiding the outdoor areas when they are busy, taking hand wash / sanitiser with you to wash hands frequently, and keeping your distance from other people as much as possible will help prevent the spread of coronavirus.
“Social distancing can be particularly difficult, so we ask that parents, carers and guardians are aware of the risks in the playground and use common sense and take extra care and responsibility for encouraging handwashing and social distancing as much as possible. Please consider if you can keep the children in your care safe when using the play areas, and if you can’t, please don’t use them, or return at a less busy time.”
There may be one-way systems in place, additional instructions and limits on capacity in some play areas, so please take notice of these and follow the signs. If you visit the play areas please follow these rules:
- You must maintain social distancing from others, if it is too busy to do this please do not enter.
- Do not use the equipment if you or any member of your household has coronavirus symptoms, or are self-isolating.
- Children should not use the equipment if they are clinically or extremely clinically vulnerable.
- Make sure you have hand sanitiser with you before entering the playground.
- Encourage everyone in your family to wash their hands or use hand sanitiser regularly, as a minimum before and after using the playground.
- Encourage children to avoid touching their faces
- Some equipment can only be used by one child at a time while social distancing. Please ensure your family waits at a safe distance if the equipment is in use or return later to use the equipment
- At busy times please think of others and limit your time in the play area so others may use and enjoy it too.
- Please do not consume food or drink in the playground
- If your family is wearing disposable PPE, please take it home with you or where provided use the bins – don’t litter.