Wendover woke up this morning to evidence of snow overnight but only a sprinkling. Last minute preparations were made for the parade to the accompaniment of a biting wind.
At 10:45 the parade left Wendover Memorial Hall led by the Central Band of the RAF to march down Wharf Road, along Aylesbury Road, past the Clock Tower and up the High Street to pause in front of the War Memorial on the Manor Waste. A very special part of this parade was the Queen’s Colour.
The “freedom” aspect of the parade meant that the military personnel were allowed to display fixed bayonets.
There was much ceremonial activity.
A Chinook helicopter flew down the High Street at 11:00 as a flypast.
A speech was made by the leader of Aylesbury Vale District Council welcoming RAF Halton and a reply by the Commanding Officer of RAF Halton
Other dignitaries present included Marion Clayton, leader of Bucks County Council and Wendover resident and Robert Duggan, chair of Wendover Parish Council.
The parade then continued up as far as the Shoulder of Mutton where it turned around and marched down the High Street back to Wendover Memorial Hall.
Photos by Peter Larkham and Jason Reed.
Videoclips received so far
From Vaughan Davies:
Videos produced by Wendover News:
- Parade arrives in High Streethttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7rscFqpbcs
- Parade arrives at Manor Wastehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOR_fzrME5w
- Parade stops at Manor Wastehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrk_ZgizKrs
- Interaction of swordshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDpOQZXIMyY
- Band playshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH_J9DtpU7U
- Parade is inspectedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q5uv3qc2t0
- End of inspectionhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdbBbwHToYA
- Marching down Pound Streethttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkvYLP3s_R8
- Marching past the Clock Towerhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6LeFfA2tSo
- Along Aylesbury Road into Wharf Roadhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2nIus-JyD8
- Ends at Wendover Memorial Hallhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl-FjExkStg