Tribute: Colin Plant

Colin came to live in Manor Road in 1962 with his beloved wife Margaret. Their three children, David, Sarah and Jude, all grew up here, about as far away from the sea as possible. Colin had been born in Plymouth in 1930 and lived there with his mother Lena as his father Earn was away in the Navy much of the time. They endured heavy war time bombing and Colin came away with the chant “Owing to the wind and rain, poor old Argyles lost again”. He never swerved in loyalty to his home football team.

Colin led his family in becoming involved in Wendover life. He supported John Colet PTA and in the 1970s joined the Wendover Carnival Committee which had the difficult task of raising the funds to build Wendover Swimming Pool which has since been developed and updated out of all recognition.

He became a mainstay of Wendover Twinning Association which was a heavy responsibility including regular school exchanges with Liffré and intermittent exchanges of other mirror organisations including the football clubs, police and choirs. He chaired this important local organisation for over 13 years.

He then turned his mind to the Friends of Wendover Health Centre, setting up the 200 Club in the late eighties to buy equipment and provide travelling expenses for drivers.

Colin was a thoroughly reliable leader. This wasn’t evident from his school reports but maybe National Service as a radio engineer on DC3 Dakotas with the RAF played a part in his development. The day he really shone was as a clerk with the National Provincial Bank in Devonport, back in 1957, two years after he had married Margaret. He thwarted a would-be bank robber, despite having pepper thrown at him, wrestling him to the ground and wrapping his head in a heavy curtain. The capture and subsequent prosecution were reported in the Western News of 6 September 1957. Management must have noticed his courage and he swiftly rose to become a bank manager in the days when that was a highly respected position and he kept that rank until he retired. Then he and Margaret could develop their love of cruises.

As he approached retirement, Colin joined Chiltern Forest Golf Club in the early nineteen eighties, playing regularly, enjoying the course and making many new friends. He was foremost in setting up the 200 Club in the late eighties to boost club funds and this is still going strong today. By 1998 he was Club Captain. His year was very successful moving the Club forward. He enjoyed the social side and attended most of the functions with Margaret. He will always be remembered for his humour and his laugh. He will be missed by the Club and all the Past Captains.