“What a fantastic new library” – what visitors are saying about the new Aylesbury Library
The newly refurbished Aylesbury Library welcomed nearly 9,000 visitors in its first fortnight – and nearly 5,000 people a week are enjoying the new space.
The building has been completely remodelled into a modern and welcoming space with lots of new features including:
- A colourful, inviting new children’s space with sensory wall and ‘bubble tubes’
- Better computing facilities with more power points for customers using their own devices
- New self-service technology – so customers can borrow and return books really quickly and easily
- Refurbished toilets and a new baby-care area
- A dementia-friendly layout
- A new exhibition area and a new ‘well-being’ zone
- Two new meeting rooms
- Lots of new books and longer opening hours!
There are also lots more new developments, including new tablets that visitors can use in the library and a host of new activities for both adults and children.
There will be Bounce and Rhyme for our youngest visitors and Code Club for older children, plus for adults we have computer courses and a knitting club – to name just two available activities; see below for the comprehensive list.
Some days as many as 700-800 people have been through the doors. Visitors have been really positive, with comments such as:
“What a fantastic new library,” “lovely light and bright”, “an amazing friendly place for children” and “the space is so much more bright and welcoming.”
Noel Brown is the county council’s Cabinet Member for Community Engagement and Public Health. He said:
“I’m thrilled that we’ve had such positive feedback about the new library space. I know we can’t always please everyone all of the time, but overwhelmingly people have said they’re delighted, and I’ve personally really enjoyed seeing how people are enjoying the library in different ways, from studying, to reading, to playing in the new children’s area.
If you haven’t already come down to see what we’ve got then please make sure you check it out – we’ve got a full timetable of great regular events and activities too.”